• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Coconut oil

Gormur

Bluelighter
Does anyone know what it is in coconut oil that helps/boosts thyroid function?
Sorry if my phrasing is off. I've only heard that it supports thyroid function, and since eating coconut oil daily now for 3+ weeks i've noticed a HUGE improvement in my stamina, energy, mood and cognitive function

I want to learn as much about this as i can :)

-G

OP-

Are you trying to lose weight?

How much do you eat a day?

How/with what do you eat it?

Cool, thanks for the idea. My energy level has been quite low lately, perhaps I could use it to boost it up. Same with cognitive function and mood.

What do you think of the guy saying "it's the calories"?

Without going into too much detail here, i'll just say that coconut oil is one of the (if not the) most nutritious oils around

There are several videos on youtube about it including one by Dr Mercola

Peace :)

Cool, thanks for the idea. My energy level has been quite low lately, perhaps I could use it to boost it up. Same with cognitive function and mood.

What do you think of the guy saying "it's the calories"?

my name is directly to the left of my post.

I found it gives a sugar-buzz when consumed... as well as stomach ulceration from hell.

No thanks.

I use coconut oil exclusively in soap-making, as it results in soap having a particularly frothy lather that cannot be emulated using any other oil :).

its the calories in it that are doing the trick for you.

There are many positive attributes of coconut oil that go far beyond its caloric measurement. Because it is a saturated fat it is stable in the body *and at high temperatures when cooking* so it doesn't oxidize in the body the way unsaturated fats do. Over time, eating too many bad oils such as canola, etc can deplete a person's selenium and lead to deficiency. Selenium is the antioxidant that our bodies use to deal with bad fats in the body. Here is a good article explaining how selenium is linked to thyroid function because of it's relationship to iodine:

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=580

So that is one thought on why coconut oil is good for the thyroid; it simply doesn't stress the thyroid.

There might be other reasons as well, but that is one I have thought about before. There is a lot of good info out on the net about coconut oil and its effects on the body. It's a miracle food. :)

There are many positive attributes of coconut oil that go far beyond its caloric measurement. Because it is a saturated fat it is stable in the body *and at high temperatures when cooking* so it doesn't oxidize in the body the way unsaturated fats do. Over time, eating too many bad oils such as canola, etc can deplete a person's selenium and lead to deficiency. Selenium is the antioxidant that our bodies use to deal with bad fats in the body. Here is a good article explaining how selenium is linked to thyroid function because of it's relationship to iodine:

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=580

So that is one thought on why coconut oil is good for the thyroid; it simply doesn't stress the thyroid.

There might be other reasons as well, but that is one I have thought about before. There is a lot of good info out on the net about coconut oil and its effects on the body. It's a miracle food. :)

wow awesome. thanks:D

and yes, it's good for weight-loss. i'm personally not as hungry as usual but i feel a lot healthier and stronger

any fat will satiate hunger and allow a dieter to consume less total calories for the day. Consume at a level below your caloric maintenance will result in weightloss (muscle and fat).

It has a lot of calories... but it can be good for weight loss in that it is a fat, and filling, and slow to digest. So it might make a person feel full, and less likely to give in and pig out on potato chips. It depends on an individual's body, but for me, I have found large amounts of sugar and carbs like potatoes or grains are most likely to cause weight gain. Especially sugary carb things like twinkies, donuts, etc.

For far too long has fat been blamed for obesity. Healthy fats are so important and coconut oil is one of them, along with flax, avocado, and if one eats meat, fish oil. Try and get a mix of whichever ones work best for you.

I found it gives a sugar-buzz when consumed... as well as stomach ulceration from hell.

Are you consuming extra virgin organic oil? Real coconut oil shouldn't have sugar in it...

^ Yep, it was the creamy stuff bought at the health food store. No a literal sugar-buzz, just a similar energy boost followed by a crash. It really hurt my stomach, more than any other fat - though I admit I ate it straight with a spoon ;). It is tastier than coconuts themselves :D.

But yeah, it went very well in my soap, and I now cannot make soap without it :).

That's odd. It seems to ease my stomach and digestion. I don't usually eat on an empty stomach. Maybe that has something to do with it

I also use it as body and hair conditioner. That's all i need to stay clean :)

thats strange jam,....its very soothing to my stomach much like avocado fat...there must be an underlying issue we are not aware of if medium chain triglycerides are damaging (usually very well accepted).

It could be a "healing crisis" sort of reaction. If you had any sort of imbalance in your gut (candida overgrowth) coconut oil can cause a major reaction. Gut pain, nausea, that sort of thing. A lot of people have candida overgrowth if you've ever taken antibiotics, certain drugs, hell just even from living in the city and what not its easy to fall out of balance with all the toxins there are out there.

Either something like that or its possible you could just be allergic to coconut. Its one of the less common, but still pretty common allergens. But pretty much anyone who has ever taken antibiotics and isn't eating a diet of super healing food and no bad food has imbalances in their gut.

Oh sorry, I didn't mention that I *do* have on-going issues with ulcers :).

But that's very insightful, Andi!

And Andy: Funny you mention that, Avocado Oil is the 2nd most important in my soap composition ;).

Do you have interest in making a thread about soap making? I been getting bothered about mainstream soap lately...we use Dr Bronners...its good I think (i trust andi)...but if we could make our own that would be even better...more independence!

If not the time/interest for thread starting then lets chat sometime about it...I want to learn :)

love you jammyyyyy <3